Legal Manager (Freelance)
We are looking for freelance legal support that we can work with on retainer to provide day to day legal expertise and advice.
Combination of home and office working, UK - Our office is based in Sheffield.
Can be done on day or hourly rate depending on the candidate, competitive rates apply - depending on experience.
Hours of work
4-6 days per month
Good Things Foundation is a social change organisation seeking a world where everyone can benefit through digital. We are mission-led and all our work helps us to deliver our ambitious Group Goal to help another 3 million people to have better lives through the use of digital technology by 2025.
We are looking for freelance legal support that we can work with on retainer to provide day to day legal expertise and advice, working between 4-6 days per month.
What work do we need support with?
We are looking for an individual, who can work with Good Things part-time on a longer term basis, get to know and understand how the organisation operates and can provide day to day legal advice across a range of areas. We have relationships with specialist solicitors for Employment law, property law, charity law and governance but we need someone to provide more basic day to day advice mainly on commercial areas, such as grants agreements and contracts with our funders and our delivery partners. This will be advice on contracts we are signing and those we are letting ourselves. We may also require some specific advice on IPR and copyright.
- One off piece of work to review Good Things templates for Contracts, Grant Agreements, MOUs, NDAs, Partnership and Sponsorship Agreements etc. and bring them in line with current best practice . Also, to update guidance and training materials for staff on how to use these templates
- Draft or review (when provided by third parties) legal agreements including contracts for services, grant agreements, MOUs NDAs and licence agreements
- Provide ad hoc legal training to staff members who are negotiating contracts and regular onboarding sessions for new staff (e.g.: once every 6 months)
- Provide ad hoc legal and commercial advice across the following areas; company law, charity law, intellectual property, corporate governance and contract law . Be aware of when we need to involve our specialist legal partners to ensure we get maximum value for money from these specialists.
- Maintaining legal templates that meet best practice and the organisation’s needs
- Provide more detailed ad-hoc advice on more complex commercial agreements, where relevant.
- Contributing to policies and procedures and provide staff awareness training where Work with the team to ensure there in a robust process for Subject Access Requests in accordance with applicable data protection legislation
How to apply
Please submit your CV and covering letter of no more than two pages demonstrating what you bring to the role in terms of your skills and experience to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5th December 2021. Please also include your day rate. Please get in touch of you would like to submit your covering letter in an alternative format such as audio or video.
*Information can be made available in other formats (for example, large print), so please contact us if you need to discuss what alternative format would be accessible for you.
Safeguarding Statement and Pre-Employment Checks
Here at Good Things Foundation, we work with vulnerable adults and are fully committed to ensuring their safeguarding and welfare at all times, in line with our Safeguarding Policy and Procedures. All of our employees, contractors and volunteers will be expected to comply with the policy and procedures. Upon a conditional offer of appointment being made, all employees will also be required to satisfy our pre-employment screening process which may include:
- An identity check (photo ID)
- Receipt of two satisfactory references
- Documentary evidence of right to work in the UK
- A finance check
- A satisfactory DBS check