Communications & External Affairs Intern
We are seeking a dynamic, ambitious and values-driven Intern to provide communications and external affairs support.
Sheffield - but working from home for the foreseeable future until the office opens again
Hours of work
37.5 hours per week (part time considered)
Good Things Foundation is the UK’s leading digital and social inclusion charity. Our mission is a world where everyone can benefit from digital. Through our Online Centres Network of hyperlocal partners, we are supporting people and communities to overcome some of the most pressing social challenges they are facing through digital.
Since 2010 we’ve helped over 3.5 million people to improve their lives using digital, driving positive outcomes such as employment, reducing loneliness, supporting basic digital skills, and health and wellbeing.
Good Things Foundation is a social change organisation with a mission to ensure that everyone benefits from digital. We live the change we are seeking to achieve and encourage applications from diverse backgrounds. We operate a policy of providing equal opportunities in all aspects of work including recruitment, training, and promotion, whatever the colour, race, religion, belief, ethnic or national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age or disability of an employee, having regard to the individual’s aptitudes and abilities and requirements for the job. Good Things Foundation is opposed to all forms of unlawful and unfair discrimination. Our goal is also to be truly reflective of the makeup of society and we actively welcome difference.
About the role
We are seeking a dynamic, ambitious and values-driven Intern to provide communications and external affairs support, to help further raise the profile of Good Things Foundation and the work of our partners with national and international audiences.
You will support the Communications and External Affairs team (part of the Evidence and Engagement directorate), addressing and tackling digital and social inclusion in the UK by creating engaging and impactful content for online and offline channels, helping with events, and supporting projects and campaigns as required.
You’ll have an excellent opportunity to develop your skills and experience across communications, PR, marketing and external relations, as well as gain valuable experience of team working, projects and relationship management in a fast-paced, non-profit organisation.
As an applicant it is essential that you are able to demonstrate that you possess the following experience, knowledge, skills, education, and qualifications (see Job Description for full details):
- Experience of working as part of a team to deliver an outcome
- Experience of working or volunteering in a fast-paced environment (or proven appetite to gain this experience)
- Experience of copywriting and content creation, especially for digital platforms
- Experience of working across multiple projects
- Experience translating complex information into an easy to understand format.
- Ability to use social media platforms (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and LinkedIn) to engage audiences
- Ability to create rich media (eg video, audio and graphics) for digital channels
- Excellent IT skills – word processing, spreadsheets, slides/presentations, email
- Ambitious individual willing to learn quickly and work outside their comfort zone with a ‘can do’ attitude
- Able to handle confidential information in a sensitive and trustworthy way
- Degree, or equivalent experience, with relevance to the role (for example, marketing, advertising, PR, communications, journalism)
- Provide support in delivering and monitoring key campaigns, including Get Online Week (18th – 24th October 2022)
- Create engaging content, including graphics, audio and video, to support projects and communications plans
- Assist with the ongoing monitoring of social media, including analytics, formulating responses and amplifying content
- Help monitor and maintain our websites, using a content management system (CMS)
- Contribute actively and creatively to content development and communications planning
- Write clear, accurate and engaging copy for a variety of channels, including content for our websites, newsletters, social media accounts, and reports
- Draft copy for others, and review copy written by others – providing feedback
- Support the development of compelling stories and case studies about the people and community organisations we work with and support – always ensuring compliance with our Data Management and Safeguarding policies
- Work with the team to identify opportunities to proactively promote Good Things Foundation (and also our Network and learning products) through media channels, including drafting press releases and engaging with journalists.
- Help monitor and manage the press inquiries inbox.
- Help map and manage key stakeholders.
- Support the delivery of key events for the organisation (currently online).
- Support the Communications and External Affairs team in gathering relevant facts, evidence and content for internal and external documents
- Support and work with other colleagues and teams as necessary – e.g. Research, Data and Insights team – to develop our assets and approach to evidence-based advocacy
How to apply
Please return the Application Form and your CV to: email@example.com by the closing date of 30th July 2021. Please also complete our Equality and Diversity form to help us monitor our commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
*Information can be made available in other formats (for example, large print), so please contact us if you need to discuss what alternative format would be accessible for you.
Safeguarding Statement and Pre-Employment Checks
Here at Good Things Foundation, we work with vulnerable adults and are fully committed to ensuring their safeguarding and welfare at all times, in line with our Safeguarding Policy and Procedures. All of our employees, contractors and volunteers will be expected to comply with the policy and procedures. Upon a conditional offer of appointment being made, all employees will also be required to satisfy our pre-employment screening process which for this position, will include:
- An identity check (photo ID)
- Receipt of two satisfactory references
- Documentary evidence of right to work in the UK