Job type: Full time (37.5 hours per week)
Salary: £27,000 - £37,000 per annum depending on experience, plus excellent benefits
Closing Date: 16 February 2020 (midnight)
An opportunity to be part of a dynamic social change charity, working at scale across the UK and internationally.
Good Things Foundation is the UK’s leading digital social inclusion charity. Our vision is a world where everyone can benefit from digital. Working with a 4,000-strong network of community partners in the UK, and 2,000 in Australia, we support people and communities to address the most pressing social challenges through digital.
Since 2010 we’ve helped 3 million people to have better lives, helping them build digital confidence and skills, and driving a wide range of positive outcomes including employment progression, reducing loneliness, stronger financial capability, and better health and wellbeing.
You will lead the design and build of front end components across our digital products and help to lead the technical design and thinking across the digital team.
Your responsibilities will include:
Senior Developer objectives
- Analysis of requirements and designs at a detailed level to define and build robust solutions that meet the requirements of both users and the business.
- Development, documentation and testing of quality code that follows well defined development standards; ensuring that individual deliverables are tested and function as specified.
- Helping define and agree standards for development; from code through source control, to release and deployment.
- Ensuring that digital products are resilient, scalable, secure and tuned for performance.
- Working with other senior developers to ensure consistency across our development platforms; challenging our technical solutions with a view to making them better.
- Working with the test team to constantly improve the handover from development into test
- Organising design and code reviews, identifying issues or improvements in methodologies and standards and lead their resolution.
- Contributing to the team plan and estimating resource
- Line managing, supporting, mentoring and coaching junior members of the team to meet their agreed objectives and quality goals
- Keep up-to-date with the latest in your area(s) of expertise and share anything that's relevant to the team
- Use your expertise to advise on good practice across the wider organisation.
- Clearly communicate deadlines, releases, exceptions and progress
UX and front-end lead objectives
You will have responsibility for leading our UX work across all our digital products, including:
- Championing user-focused design and accessibility within the team and our digital platforms
- Ensuring consistency of design and UX across all our digital platforms
- Leading and owning the look and feel of our digital products
- Leading the development of our core style library
- Working with service design and learning teams to ensure our digital products are user tested in the field
- Identify and deliver continuous improvement for our digital services, inputting into product roadmaps
- Using data to ensure user journeys perform against key business metrics
You will have experience of:
- Extensive experience developing technical solutions in a collaborative team environment
- Experience of working to tight deadlines in a technical environment.
- Excellent development and analytical skills.
- Experience of working flexibly with other teams to achieve business objectives
- Ability to lead successful work streams or projects
- Demonstrable experience of using your own initiative to innovate and deliver improvements for the organisation or service users
With the following knowledge and skills:
- HTML, CSS, SASS - Excellent knowledge of cross platform modern web development
- UX & design - An excellent understanding of user-centred design principles
- Accessibility - A focus on ensuring that platforms are accessible to everyone
- Data/Analytics - A solid understanding of using data to measure the success of our platforms
- Management - Experience managing across teams and managing expectations through effective communication with internal and external customers
- Excellent communication skills - to deal with people at different levels throughout the business
- Great analytical and problem solving skills - to translate business problems into technical solutions
- Excellent planning and organisational skills - the ability to deliver great code to tight deadlines as part of a team
- Agile & Lean - Experience of delivering large user-focused websites using agile & lean methodologies
- Online learning - Experience of working within an organisation who develop online learning.
- Databases - Experience of MySQL
- PHP - Object oriented PHP skills.
- Devops - Experience of version control, release management and managing system deployments on Linux
Good Things Foundation is a social change organisation with a mission to ensure that everyone benefits from digital. We live the change we are seeking to achieve and encourage applications from diverse backgrounds. We operate a policy of providing equal opportunities in all aspects of work including recruitment, training, and promotion, whatever the colour, race, religion, belief, ethnic or national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age or disability of an employee, having regard to the individual's aptitudes and abilities and requirements for the job. Good Things Foundation is opposed to all forms of unlawful and unfair discrimination.
Safeguarding Statement and Pre-Employment Checks
Here at Good Things Foundation, we work with vulnerable adults and are fully committed to ensuring their safeguarding and welfare at all times, in line with our Safeguarding Policy and Procedures. All of our employees, contractors and volunteers will be expected to comply with the policy and procedures. Upon a conditional offer of appointment being made, all employees will also be required to satisfy our pre-employment screening process which for this position, will include:
- An identity check (photo ID)
- Receipt of two satisfactory references
- Documentary evidence of right to work in the UK
- A satisfactory Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
The organisation will carry out a Baseline Personnel Security Standard check (BPSS) prior to your commencement of employment. This check will consist of a Right to work check, ID data check, criminal records check, employment history check and the disclosure of any significant periods spent abroad (6 months or more in the last 3 years). The BPSS check will be undertaken by an external agency.