(Designate, moving to full role Summer 2022)
Job type: Full time working 37.5 hours per week, permanent.
Location: Combination of home and office working, UK - Our office is based in Sheffield.
Salary: £55,000 - £65,000, dependent upon experience, plus excellent benefits
Closing Date: 20th April 2021
An exciting opportunity to be part of a dynamic social change charity, working at scale across the UK and internationally.
Good Things Foundation is the UK’s leading digital and social inclusion charity. Our mission is a world where everyone can benefit from digital. Through our Online Centres Network of hyperlocal partners, we are supporting people and communities to overcome some of the most pressing social challenges they are facing through digital.
Since 2010 we’ve helped over 2.8 million people to improve their lives using digital, driving positive outcomes such as employment, reducing loneliness, supporting basic digital skills, and health and wellbeing.
This is an exciting role for an ambitious accountant and people professional who wants to make a real difference. You will be taking over the lead finance role from one of our founding Directors on her retirement in summer 2022 when you will report directly to the Senior Management Team and Board. Between now and then you will work alongside her learning the role to enable you to take the lead managing our finances and people strategy and be Good Things Foundation’s Company Secretary.
You will ultimately take responsibility for all our finance and people strategies, systems and processes across the Group, leading the UK finance and people teams and working closely with our colleagues in Australia. But as well as this, you will have to be prepared to roll up your sleeves and get involved in the details such as picking up day to day processing of transactions if needed.
You will be a member of a dynamic and ambitious leadership team that is ensuring we meet our goals to make good things happen with technology for the most socially excluded people.
You will be responsible for aligning the overall people strategy across the Group with Good Things Foundation’s Five year Strategy, values and behaviours. As part of the Leadership Group you will play a pivotal role in developing key areas of the people strategy including attracting and developing talent to support our strategy, employee engagement, performance management and leadership development.
For full details of your responsibilities please see the Job Description for this role.
As an applicant it is essential that you are able to demonstrate that you possess the following experience, knowledge, skills, education and qualifications:
- Experience of leading a finance team in a small to medium sized organisation or leading a finance function in a larger organisation and experience of all aspects of financial management
- Experience of setting up and improving financial management systems, controls and reporting
- Experience of pricing and costing in a complex environment
- Group accounting and Financial Management skills
- Understanding of charity accounting
- Knowledge and experience of complex VAT
- Relevant finance qualification
- Experience of leading a people team in a small to medium sized organisation
- Experience of managing people functions and effectively delivering organisational change
- Good understanding of organisational cultures and how to embed these into all working practices
- Understanding of how to manage an outsourced HR service
- Understanding of the key role of equity, diversity and inclusion in the workforce and the implications for our people strategy
- Understanding of safeguarding and how to effectively apply it
- Management or HR qualification (desirable)
General Management and Leadership Skills
- Demonstrable experience of undertaking work using your own initiative yet having excellent team working skills and able to collaborate across multi disciplinary teams
- Experience of contributing to the development of strategy, business plans and organisational development
- Experience of people management and empowering staff to perform at their best
- Demonstrable experience of contributing to the wider corporate needs of an organisation beyond your immediate job description
- Ability to manage flexible teams of staff to achieve challenging delivery objectives
- Ability to think strategically and innovatively and to turn that thinking into realistic plans and workflows
- Commercial acumen with excellent negotiating and influencing skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to collaborate across the organisation at all levels
- Professional with integrity and discretion
- Accuracy and attention to detail but with the ability to consider the bigger picture
How to apply:
How to apply:
You can download a full job description from our Work for Us page.* Please submit your CV along with a 500-800 work expression of interest outlining how you meet the requirements of the role, to: firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date of 20th April 2021. Please also complete our Equality Form to help us monitor our commitment to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
*Job description documents can be made available in other formats (for example, large print), so please contact us if you need to discuss what alternative format would be accessible for you.
Good Things Foundation is a social change organisation with a mission to ensure that everyone benefits from digital. We live the change we are seeking to achieve and encourage applications from diverse backgrounds. We operate a policy of providing equal opportunities in all aspects of work including recruitment, training, and promotion, whatever the colour, race, religion, belief, ethnic or national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age or disability of an employee, having regard to the individual's aptitudes and abilities and requirements for the job. Good Things Foundation is opposed to all forms of unlawful and unfair discrimination. Our goal is also to be truly reflective of the makeup of society and we actively welcome difference.
Safeguarding Statement and Pre-Employment Checks
Here at Good Things Foundation, we work with vulnerable adults and are fully committed to ensuring their safeguarding and welfare at all times, in line with our Safeguarding Policy and Procedures. All of our employees, contractors and volunteers will be expected to comply with the policy and procedures. Upon a conditional offer of appointment being made, all employees will also be required to satisfy our pre-employment screening process which for this position, will include:
- An identity check (photo ID)
- Receipt of two satisfactory references
- Documentary evidence of right to work in the UK
- A finance check